Contested Property Settlements & Court Hearings

Following separation, if you cannot come to an agreement with your ex-partner regarding the division of your property, you can apply to the Federal Circuit Court to have a judge order a just and equitable division of your property.

In order for a court to hear your property settlement application, the following documents must be filed with the court and served on the respondent:

  1. Initiating Application;
  2. Financial Statement; and
  3. Affidavit in support of your initiating application.

It is essential that your initiating application and affidavit in support provide strong evidence to support the orders that you are asking the court to make and will need to outline the property you have acquired throughout the relationship and the specific contributions as defined under the Family Law Act that you have made to the relationship and conservation of the property. Your initiating document is the first impression that the judge deciding your matter will have of you and your case, so it is important to make the best impression possible. Certus Family Lawyers are able to draft your documents to ensure that you have the best chance of obtaining the financial settlement that you are seeking.

To obtain an advice from our expert lawyers, call 07 3106 3016 for a confidential discussion of how we can help you move forwards with confidence.

Speak to Certus today

Contact Certus